Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Not enough hair for bows? No problem...make one of these!

These nylon headbands can be found online for around $5 a piece. I'm cheap and didn't want to pay that so I decided I could make them myself. They are so simple! I found the knee highs at Wal-Mart for 44 cents. They are in those little plastic bubble things like the toys in candy machines. Pick out whatever color you want. I ended up with white, black, off-white and navy blue. I haven't checked the dollar store but I have this feeling they might carry the more "exotic" colors of knee highs such as pastels. LOL! Along with the knee high you will need scissors, fabric glue, a piece of cardstock (I use a mailer), and ribbon that matches your knee high. For the ribbon I like to use 1/2 or 3/4 inch.
Take one of the knee highs and cut off the top and the toe. Then cut it in half.
Photobucket
Next you want to take one of the pieces turn it inside out and slide it onto your cardstock. I like the cardstock to be a little too wide so that it bows like in the picture b/c it's easier to work with in my opinion.
Photobucket
Now fold up the bottom about a third of the way and put a line of glue along the bottom edge.
Photobucket
Fold the top down and press into the glue. Your fingers will get gluey b/c it will smoosh through the nylon.
Photobucket
Repeat this process on the other side of the headband as well.
Next you will take your ribbon and cut a piece that will wrap around the headband. I like to make it a little tighter so that creates a slightly gathered look. Slide it under the nylon then wrap around and glue.
Photobucket
Once the headband is dry slide it off the cardstock and turn it around. It will look small but of course they stretch. Here is the headband complete with a clippie bow. Sorry for the doll model but Miss Harleigh is napping.
Photobucket

And just for fun here is a picture of the vintage red high chair that we picked up a month ago at a garage sale and the dressmakers dummy in Harleigh's room.
Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this! I can't wait to try it. I love the highchair and the dummy too!

    ReplyDelete